Monday 11 April 2016

Any given Sunday...


Being a big sneaker guy there are often shoes that I really like, but can't justify buying as I know I won't ever really wear them much. Normally its basketball shoes that look ridiculous off court, or materials that aren't practical (suede dunks for winter?). So in the case of the Nike Zoom Turf Jet 97 do I really need a shoe thats meant for playing American football on astro turf?

A lot of my all time favourite Nike shoes are from 1995-1998. Maybe it was because I was an impressionable teenager at the time, but something about the design & style from that period really resonates with me, and the Zoom Turf Jet 97 is no exception. It has a lot of the details I love from this era, the pod design, the mix of materials, the contrast stitched swoosh, and the forefoot mini swoosh. It definitely feels like a relative of the Zoom flight 95 or the Penny 1& 2, some of my favourite basketball shoes.


So ignoring the fact that I probably won't have much occasion to wear them I did a little hunting on ebay and was able to find a lighty worn pair in my size. I got them for under £50 including shipping & tax from the states, and apart from some slight yellowing to the clear sole, they're in almost perfect condition.

There are a ton of elements that I really like about this shoe. I love the aggressive shape of the upper with the ridge design on the toe box, the big metallic strap and the studded outer-sole all making for a really strong, tough looking shoe, perfect for the gridiron. This is contrasted by the metallic pod with the zoom air detailing. This gives it the great futuristic feel that I love in performance shoes. This is all combined with the great contrasting materials. Smooth & pebbled leather, woven mesh on the tongue & heel, the metallic strap and the quilted satin lining all come together to make this an awesome looking shoe.

I have played touch American football with friends on occasion so I'm definitely going to try and organise a game for the summer so I can give the shoe an outing for its intended use. But I also think they'll look pretty good with shorts in the summer so hopefully I will get some wear from them. But also sometimes its just nice to add something to the collection.


No comments: