Thursday 24 March 2016

Bape Thursday No.1


It's been ten years since I first discovered Japanese streetwear brand A Bathing Ape, and over the years I've collecting a whole variety of interesting pieces. I thought it would be fun to showcase some of my favourite stuff from my collection, so welcome to what will be a regular series of Bape Thursdays.

My first exposure to Bape was back in 2006 through the Niketalk.com message boards. Back then everyone in the 'What did you wear today?' thread wanted to dress like Pharrell who was wearing almost exclusively Bape & BBC. It was the Bapesta sneakers that first caught my attention with the crazy colours and shiny patent leather. They were so different to everything else at the time and they were the first Bape item I got (more on those another week). But camo hoodies are Bape's iconic piece & so it was definitely one of the first pieces of clothing I wanted.


At the time I was living Portsmouth so visiting Busy Workshop in London wasn't very convenient, so ebay was the obvious next choice. One of the first things you learn about Bape is that there is a ton of fake stuff on ebay. But I did my research and through recommendations and legit checks on various forums I found the semi-legendary Bape ebay seller Pondon. It was super exciting to order from a seller in Japan, and definitely made it feel a little bit extra special.


I love the combination of the white camo panels and the raglan sleeves in contrasting grey shades. It makes for a super clean look with the Bape camo giving it just the right amount of interest. Bape popularised the loud all over print hoody trend, but this does it in a much more subtle way. It has all the usual great Bape details with the traditional ape head sleeve tag and the custom zipper pull, and even if it has no practical use I still think the full zip-up hood is kind of fun.

Although its ten years old its still one of my favourite pieces in my collection, even if the white is completely impractical to keep clean.


No comments: