Sunday 24 May 2015

Stuff I got in NY Part 1


While I was in New York last month there were a few bits and pieces that I couldn't get in the UK that I thought I might be able to find. One of those was a pair of NBA All Star shorts.

As soon as I saw the uniforms for this years All Star game I was really impressed. They had a really smart vintage simplicity that I loved, and the monochrome black/white with hits of red & blue are just really classic. It was a refreshing change from some of the over designed jerseys we've seen over the last couple of years, and its best not to mention the horrendous sleeved jerseys from last year.

Photo from NBA.com

One thing I don't need though is another basketball jersey as I have a whole bunch that I rarely have occasion to wear. So I was on the look out for a pair of the West Team shorts. I'd almost ordered a pair from the NBA EU online store back in February, but the £42 price tag was a little steep and they sold out pretty quick. So I was on the look out in NYC and after a little hunting I found them in the Footlocker at Times Square. And because All Star was a month and a half before I was there, they'd been put into sale and I was able to get them for half off.

I've worn them a couple of times now and they're great to play in. The patches and badges are really nice details, I particularly like the significance of the five stars down the side, as explained by Adidas Director of NBA partnerships David Cho in XXL magazine...

"Running alongside of the jerseys we have the five stars and each star represents a borough from New York. Starting from the top star is Queens and it is represented by the metal grid from the universe structure that was built for the Worlds Fair in 1964. The second one down is Staten Island and the waves signify Staten Island. The third one is for Manhattan and its classic taxi checkered cab look. The fourth one is the Bronx as the birthplace of hip-hop so you have the vinyl record etching, and the last one is bricks or brownstones which represent Brooklyn."

Plus the NYC 15 patch is a great reminder of my trip!


No comments: