Wednesday 4 May 2016

Kaws Part 2



A few weeks back I blogged about the Kaws exhibition at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, and how excited I was to get to see his work in person. Well the Kaws excitement continued last week with the launch of his collection for Uniqlo.

Part of the UT t-shirt range, the collection was curated by Nigo, the founder of A Bathing Ape, who has been a longtime Kaws collector and collaborator. It's made up graphic tees & tote bags featuring a range of classic Kaws designs and artwork.

The collection released last Monday, but I totally forgot about it until I got home from basketball that night. By that point everything had sold out online. I figured I'd swing by a Uniqlo store the next day, but somehow I completely forgot again until Thursday.

However this actually worked out okay as when I visited the Uniqlo flagship store on Oxford Street they'd just had a re-stock, so I was able to pick up the two designs I wanted. Like the tote bag I got from the exhibition I went for the companion graphics as they're my favourite Kaws designs, especially as I've now been able to see the sculptures of these pieces.

Its great to be able to get Kaws designs at high street prices (the shirts were £13 each!), as his work with Original Fake & Bape has always been at a much higher price points. I particularly like the embroidered cross eyes on the sleeve, a great detail that you might not normally see on a high street tee at this price point.

No comments: